sábado, 8 de septiembre de 2018

FIFTH DAY

Friday has arrived and with it the end of the course. Today, as usual, has been a day full of activities and motivating ideas to be used in class with my pupils.

In the Language Development session, we have approached vocabulary revision in a different way. The teacher has brought a board game, using an A3 piece of paper, which had questions from the different articles we had to read yesterday. The main goal has been to check reading comprehension and critical thinking.  We have been divided in groups of four and using a dice and counters we have started the game. I' ve been in a group with two Swedish teachers and an Italian one. For me it's been a great way to revise the ideas and vocabulary and clarify doubts. I think it is a motivating activity that students can engage in. As a teacher, I've learnt  not only new terms and expressions related to education, but also interesting things about the Swedish and Italian educational systems.

The second activity has been about a project called Collecting Europe which talks about avoiding labeling and stereotypes and taking into account inclusion. In groups of four, we have talked about what's in a name. It's been one of the most interesting activities for me because it has let me know some cultural information about my Swedish and Italian colleagues I've worked with.


The rest of the morning has focused on idioms which are my cup of tea. We have started with a brainstorm about them. This has been followed by an idiom quiz. The teacher  has shown us some images using an IWB  and in pairs we have had to write the suitable idiom for such picture. I have really loved that activity because it has helped me  to refresh contents and learn new ones. The following activity has been one called Call my bluff. In groups of four, we have had to guess the correct meaning of three idioms. Each time we have answered correctly we have been given a point. I have used similar activities and students have enjoyed them. After that, in pairs we have been given three idioms and we have had to pick one and create false definitions to test our colleagues' knowledge. I think it's a fantastic activity to be used to revise vocabulary with my students. To finish the morning, we have done an unoriginal activity in which we had to complete sentences using the suitable idiom.


The afternoon has been devoted to vocabulary recycling activities and how to teach collocations too. We have seen nine  possible activities to work with our students. I'm going to focus on one of them called Backs to the board. In it, the students are divided into groups depending on the number of students we have per class. One of them is back to the board and can't turn to it because the teacher has to write a word or expression on it. The rest of the students of the group who are sitting facing the board have to define it shouting at the other student. This activity promotes team game and co-operative learning. I have never used before it, but I'll definitely use it with my pupils because it can be a fun way to learn vocabulary. 

It's been a really intense week in which I have brushed up on my vocabulary and have learned new  current terms and expressions that I can share with my students. I've also learned about the functioning of the education systems of different countries. Moreover, I have improved my fluency in an English environment. Scarborough is a beautiful coastal city with nice, friendly people and I can't wait to come back.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario